The NATO Summit is upon us! Avoid the hassle of downtown this weekend, and enjoy these free activities instead.
Friday, May 18
- Hyde Park Garden Fair Spring Sale: (Friday – Saturday) This semi-annual plant sale is free to the public. It features a wide variety of plants, vegetables, and flowers to choose from.
- Krista K Ten Year Anniversary Sale: (Friday – Sunday) Okay, so the 20% discount all weekend probably means money will be spent….but hey, they are serving free cupcakes while you shop! That counts, right?
- West African Dance Party: WBEZ radio personality Tony Sarabia hosts a free dance party in honor of the current “Studio Malick” exhibition that is taking place at the De Paul Art Museum.
- Shots in the Dark Room: Make prints while doing some shots! Visit the Hyde Park Art Center for four 45 minute dark room sessions with bar service provided by Chant restaurant.
Saturday, May 19
- A Bloomin’ Festival Plant Sale: (Saturday & Sunday) Head over to the Chicago Botanic Garden and peruse some 25,000 plants that are for sale. This two day event features demonstrations and live music.
- Chicago Kids and Kites Festival: NATO will be some providing 5,000 kite kits this Saturday at Montrose Harbor.
Sunday, May 20
- The Nerdologues: Head to The Upstairs Gallery in Andersonville to hear comics, actors, and audience members tell geeky monologues.